- Despite the fact that the majority of health officials have claimed all saturated fats are bad for you and cause heart disease, recent evaluation of the basis for this recommendation has found it to be seriously flawed, as unprocessed saturated fats are an important part of a healthy diet and should be regularly consumed, not assiduously avoided
- An important and beneficial saturated fat is coconut oil, which has scientifically demonstrated health benefits, including healthy support for your heart and brain, skin, immune system, and thyroid
- Coconut oil is rich in lauric acid, which your body converts to monolaurin, and this special agent has antiviral, antibacterial, and antiprotozoal properties; coconut oil is also rich in capric acid, which shares some of the same antimicrobial benefits that help protect you from infections
- Coconut oil is also rich is medium chain fatty acids (MCFAs), which stimulate your body’s metabolism and help you trim off excess body fat
- The medium-chain fats in coconut oil are considered so nutritious that they are used in baby formulas, and in hospitals to feed the critically ill, those on tube feeding, and those with digestive problems. Coconut oil has even been used successfully by doctors in treating aluminum poisoning.15 Coconut oil is exceptionally helpful for pregnant women, nursing moms, the elderly, those concerned about digestive health, athletes (even weekend warriors), and those of you who just want to enhance your overall health.