Water: the fountain of youth!!
Turns out the sought-after magic elixir has been right under our noses!
I’m talking about water. Pure, simple water.
Before you scoff at this idea, check if you’re dehydrated. Sadly as much as 75% of adults suffer from mild, chronic dehydration, a condition that dramatically works against your weight loss efforts.
Here is why water consumption must be at the top of your list in your quest for a fit, healthy and athletic body…
Water does all that?
Though you probably don’t think about it often, water is the most essential element, next to air, to your survival. The simple combination of two parts hydrogen, one part oxygen makes up more than two thirds of your body and is involved in a host of bodily functions that we routinely take for granted.
Just to name a few:
- Water works to regulate the thermal condition of your body
- Water serves as a lubricant in your joints
- Water helps flush toxins from your blood
- Water gives your skin a clear, glowing complexion
- Water assists with digestion, pulling all the usable nutrients out of foods
- Water aides in disease prevention (Drinking 8 glasses a day has shown to reduce your chance of colon cancer by 45% and bladder cancer by 50%)
What about fitness and fat loss?
You’ve probably heard that you need to drink plenty of water in order to drop weight, but did you ever wonder why? What does water have to do with decreasing your calories and increasing your activity level in an effort to shed pounds?
1. Water is a natural appetite suppressant
Fill your stomach with a glass of water before each meal and you will find that you won’t eat as much. This also works on snacking throughout the day, keep hydrated all day long and watch as your desire to snack decreases.
2. Water increases your body’s ability to efficiently metabolize fat
This process begins with your kidneys receiving enough water to function at their peak, which in turn helps your liver reach optimal efficiency in removing toxins and waste from your blood. With your liver working at maximum capacity, fat will be metabolized at a higher rate. This means a decrease in your overall body fat. (And who doesn’t want that?)
3. Water is the perfect substitute for high calorie beverages
Want to super-charge your fitness results this summer? Well, this is the most effective way to utilize water toward your waist-shrinking efforts. Most of us consume more than our share of calorie-packed beverages. Smoothies, shakes, frozen mochas, soft drinks…you get the idea. When you trade your high calorie beverages in for a tall glass of water you will expedite your results in a major way.
The Other Side of the Story…
Now you know that drinking sufficient amounts of water will help you reach your fitness goals faster than ever, but you should also know that failing to drink enough water comes with serious consequences…
- Your body will shift into “preserve” mode—which means you will store more fat.
- Bodily functions will slow—leading to an overall decrease in energy levels.
- Headaches will become an expected nuisance—your brain is over 70% water.