10 Proven L-Glutamine Benefits
New research is now showing L-glutamine benefits the body in the following ways:
- Improves gastrointestinal health because it is a vital nutrient for the intestines to rebuild and repair (1)
- Helps heal ulcers and leaky gut by acting as a band-aid for protection from further damage (2)
- Is an essential neurotransmitter in the brain and helps with memory, focus and concentration (3)
- L-glutamine improves IBS and diarrhea by balancing mucus production which results in healthy bowel movements (4)
- Promotes muscle growth and decreases muscle wasting (5)
- Improves athletic performance and recovery from endurance exercise (6)
- Improves metabolism and cellular detoxification (7)
- Curbs cravings for sugar and alcohol (8)
- Fights cancer
- Improves diabetes and blood sugar
L-Glutamine Dosage and Supplements
Although the effects of excess glutamine rarely causes problems, if you are taking glutamine long term it is a good idea to also supplement with B vitamins especially vitamin B12, as this controls glutamine buildup in the body.
The recommended glutamine dose for weight trainers or power athletes should be 10 grams daily of L-glutamine powder taken before and after a workout. This is usually consumed within the servings of a protein shakes, as L-glutamine is often an active ingredient along with other amino acids.
If you are looking to improve digestive health and heal leaky gut it is recommended you take 5 grams of glutamine powder 2x daily with meals.
I like this brand: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00E7TMONG?psc=1